Monday, May 12, 2008

Crisis situation

Last weekend, my advisor dropped a bombshell. I broached the topic of post-doc figuring that he will tell me when should I start packing....But what he told me has left me angry and pissed off.

Let me paraphrase what he said,
1. Officially you're done with PhD....however to make it a good PhD, you need more publications.
2. You will require 4-6 months to apply and get a post-doc after July. So, don't submit the thesis until something works out.
3. You msut get one paper out every month starting June..that will boost your resume.
4. Start applying for PhD. In India, you should try IISc and TIFR!
5. Boston will probably not happen since you will not be able to get funding before July. Drop it.

I am at my wit's end trying to make sense out of his behaviour. When I was applying for post-doc, he told me not to worry. Now he says the exact opposite.
Of course, it is great that I should have more publications, but I cannot continue forever in this place.
Also, attending Boston is a MUST for me for two reasons.
a) Gives me an opportunity to meet people in US and the probability of post-doc increases tremendously.
b) I can directly ask a list of people my advisor knows so that I can set up interview with them.....

Anyway, I will do my best.
1. I will ask my dad to fund me for Boston and I can return the money after IIT sanctions.
2. I will start applying for post-docs and will leave here as soon as anything clicks. Should ask him to fill up recos.

I can't take up an ad-hoc position like RA cause it will drag my resume down. I should aim only for proper post-doc.

2 Comments:

At May 12, 2008 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Shivani Rao said...

dont give it up
we are all with you
this professor has really lost it
he has lost your trust
dont trust in him anymore

 
At May 12, 2008 at 11:51 AM , Blogger pradeepkumar said...

Yeah.... So true, Hop.
You know this is the problem of doing PhD in India...they won't leave us and want to exploit as much as possible... (ok, the situation is not so different other places also :))

Thanks for the hopes dear...I know you are with me..and it has been the only thing that has kept me going....till now.

It is my ambition to be with you ( I mean be in the same place and have so much fun :)).....Thats the reason I keep going!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home